Monday, 25 April 2011

Product Comparison - Heat Protectant Sprays

I went for a haircut a few months ago, and the hairdresser informed me that about half of my hair was completely fried from straightening it on a regular basis. I really had no idea on the proper conduct for using heat protectant sprays and such before flat ironing, because I never used a flat iron regularly before I got my current haircut about a year ago. Anyway, she informed me about these sprays and showed me a few products they had there in the store (I get my hair cut at MasterCuts, by the way). I decided to buy one there and then because I wasn't planning on quitting ironing my hair every day.

I ended up getting the Keep It Straight Flat Iron Spray, which cost me about $20. While I have no doubt that it works well to protect my hair from heat damage (I did notice less split ends, and that my hair started to grow a little bit faster), I disliked many things about it. For one thing, it has a very strong smell. While it isn't an unpleasant smell, it seemed overpowering to me. It seemed to take over any other scent I was wearing at the time, and all I could smell all day was this spray. Secondly, it's very thick, and started to build up on my straightening iron within the first use. I know I need to clean it every once in a while anyway, but it was annoying that I had to clean it after every use. And last, this product comes in Medium Hold, and actually makes your hair feel like you're wearing hairspray, which I am not fond of. I do not like the crispy feeling. I ended up buying another product in place of this one, which I will tell you about in a minute. I still do use this from time to time before blow drying my hair - the scent seems to not stick around when I use it that way, nor the crispy hair it causes. I need protection from the heat of the blow dryer anyway, right? ;)



On to the second product - TresEmme Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Spray. I had seen a review of this product on YouTube by one of my favourite beauty gurus, Blair (juicystar07). I also started seeing other beauty gurus reviewing this same product, all with rave reviews, so I went out to Shoppers Drug Mart to buy it right away. This product only cost me around $5 in comparison to the $20 I spent at MasterCuts for the Keep It Straight Flat Iron Spray. I LOVE this product. It isn't thick like the other spray is - it's more like spraying water on your hair than a heavy hairspray. It also doesn't leave a lingering scent. Also, since it isn't so heavy, it also doesn't leave a gross residue on my flat iron - at least, not for a couple of weeks! Huge improvement in my opinion. Plus, it still works great as a heat protectant. Still not getting split ends! I think you guys know which product I prefer here - The TresEmme Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Spray wins.

1 comment:

  1. I have the TRESemme heat protectant spray, and I think that the TRESemme balm is a lot better.

    I love your blog and I would love it if you could follow back pubicly: jaciwalker.blogspot.com and I hope you can follow back pubicly!

    :)

    ReplyDelete